Monday 23 February 2009

Milky tea

Not a great deal to report but I have updated the blog list on the right hand side. I do wonder sometimes who reads these things (thanks to all of you who read mine). There must be people out there who look at them and are, perhaps, daunted by some of the knowledge that is on show. I'm sure I speak for most birders in saying that I can get as much pleasure from enhancing someone else's day by passing on my knowledge compared to the time spent birding in company of like minded folk. The whole birding thing would probably collapse without encouraging others.
We have access to TV at the moment and I basked in it's unhealthy glow yesterday while drinking tea. I was mainly watching football and also lots of things that were probably rubbish but it was moving colour pictures with sound and I didn't care!
It was a bit too windy and dull for photos yesterday but this pale Buzzard provided me with an opportunity - a bit milky tea in colour this one.
It has potential to be the offspring of the bird pictured below.
This Common Buzzard catches out lots of people so there are 2 or 3 reports of Osprey through the summer and it's a Rough-legged Buzzard in the winter. The only other notable bird yesterday was a Golden Eagle that was picked up by someone coming the other way to us. It always seems to happen just after you have left so these guys pulling in and jumping out of their car was a good clue to something being there. A proper view filling adult bird - stunning!
The photo below is what it looks like today - a bit gloomy to say the least. The birds are still singing though with Skylark, Curlew, Ringed Plover displaying, a wren trying to drown out everything else. The Lapwings are down to 16 today but the other 4 may not be too far away.
This next shot is our first Daffodil of the year. You can tell from the size of the Blue Tit in the background that it is one of the smaller varieties!!
I'll leave you today with the local pet Herons having their breakfast of Sunny's leftover cat food - yum.

4 comments:

Alan Tilmouth said...

Brian your right, I think it's important for all of us to encourage and respond positively to the people that contact us via the blogs. You only have to look at SS for a bloody good example of how to keep people coming back and dealing with even tedious queries in a positive way.

Thing said...

Seconded! If we build it, they will come...

Birding about Northumberland said...

My daughter got me interested in wildlife when she started to video and take photos of birds visiting the garden and her constant 'mam whats that bird...'. We are very envious of you living in a wonderful part of the world, and have visited the Moray Firth for the past few years to watch the dolphins at Channory Point. My daughter adopts one of them. Love your site and will be keeping an eye open for some of the fantastic variety you have on your doorstep this summer.
Michelle
Birding about Northumberlan

Bryan Rains said...

Thanks for the support guys.

Michelle - I'm from Newcastle myself so I know the Northumberland well. It's a tremendous place down there. Every part of the country has it's own merits but it's how you enjoy it that makes the difference. Have fun out there!