Wednesday 3 November 2010

A really wild show...

Monday turned out to be a really wild show with the weather whipping up a real storm. I didn't have too long to look around as the nasty weather was due to start about 12 noon so I squeezed in as much as I could in an hour and a half! I drove past the three Otter in the choppy sea to head for what I hoped would be more sheltered waters. It wasn't too bad but nothing was close to shore - the odd GN Diver, a couple of Slavonian Grebe, 30 Teal and a unmistakable outline of a Peregrine overhead.
 
The rain was just starting to fall so another quick look around the ridges - bingo - 4 WT Eagle in the air together before dropping back down. I kept my eye on the area to see if they would reappear. A juvenile WT Eagle rode the wind back into view as two Golden Eagle appeared from my right. The WT Eagle landed on the hillside as another Golden Eagle put in an appearance - not bad for a twenty minute viewing. The rain started to lash down as the wind picked up so it was time to head back. The Shag were hanging on by their toenails...
 ...as the wind started to whip the sea into a frenzy.
The rain really did come down in the afternoon but on the plus side, for me, it grounded a couple of Whooper Swan. With the roads starting to flood we headed for the warmth of the fire.
By Tuesday morning the persistent rain had abated to showers, the wind had dropped and the Whoopers had increased to four.
 
The only other notable sighting for the day was a small group of six Greenland White-fronted Geese that included a couple of juvenile birds.
Wednesday was another showery day with some good sightings had in the morning. A cracking Red-throated Diver was showing at close quarters until the camera came out.
 
The Grey Herons were holding on to their favourite fishing spots but keeping a close eye on what else was out there looking for a meal.
You can't afford to take you eyes off an Otter so the appearance of two certainly had the Heron on the alert.
The two Otters that I spotted initially soon turned into three as the mum joined the two cubs.
I had a quick look around the berried bushes to see if the Waxwings were still around but there was no sign. Three Blackbird, 3 Bullfinch, 2 Blue Tit, 3 Great Tit and a couple of Redwing kept the interest going.
A different Heron in a different pose but on reflec....nah we'll not go there!
On my drive round the loch I'd had a Northern Wheatear fly up in front of me but I couldn't relocate the bird for a photograph so I kept an eye out on the way back - result.
It's not all about the big sightings either - I've been trying to get a photo of a Collared Dove bathing on the side of the road but I haven't managed it yet! Nice birds though.

No comments: